If you're embarrassed about your missing teeth, there's an alternative that may be right for you: dental implants. Dental implants are substitute tooth roots, usually made from titanium, that provide a stable foundation for replacement teeth. Led by family dentists Dr. John Murphy, Dr. Patrick Murphy, and Dr. Natalie Shlosman, Murphy Dental Group (located in Milton, MA) offers dental implants to their patients. Here are 5 of the advantages of undergoing implant treatment.
1. They can improve your smile. Your teeth are an important part of your appearance and lifestyle. A nice smile enhances your overall presence, and healthy teeth allow you to live with confidence. Because they're designed to look and feel just like your natural teeth, dental implants can make your smile look better than ever!
2. They can improve oral function. Your teeth are designed to work together to help you chew food and speak, but when you're missing teeth, it's difficult to do these things. Luckily, dental implants allow you to eat all foods (even the hard-to-chew ones). They can also improve your clarity of speech.
3. They can prevent teeth from shifting. If missing teeth are not replaced, the adjacent teeth will begin to drift out of place. Plaque and tartar can build up in the spaces created by the shifting teeth, and over time, this may cause oral health problems, such as cavities or gum disease. Dental implants, however, can prevent your original teeth from shifting into the spaces left by your missing teeth.
4. They can prevent jawbone loss. When teeth are missing, the healthy bone begins to break down. Bridges and dentures address the cosmetic problem of missing teeth but do not prevent bone loss. Implants, on the other hand, are anchored in the jawbone just like natural teeth. Over time, this helps preserve the bone and significantly reduce bone resorption. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that stops bone loss and stimulates bone growth.
5. They can prevent facial sagging. A face with missing teeth will also appear sunken and make you look older than you are, and because dentures don't stimulate the jawbone, denture wearers also develop this sunken-in look as the bone deteriorates. Without tooth roots to stimulate the bone, the bone begins to break down. Dental implants can prevent facial sagging and facial collapse because they are surgically implanted in your jawbone by a family dentist.
Interested? Give Us a Call!
Don't wait—call the family dentists at Murphy Dental Group at (617) 696-3900 today to schedule a dental consultation in Milton, MA, and get the smile you deserve!